English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
The English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program provides services to English Language Learners (ELLs).
The ESOL Department ensures that ELLs are initially identified based on their responses to the Home Language Survey and that subsequently their English language proficiency is properly assessed to determine qualification for the ESOL program. ESOL records must be submitted upon enrollment. ELLs are provided with equal access to all FLVS courses. Teachers use ESOL strategies to make courses and instruction comprehensible. All courses are delivered in English. Students are required to complete Welcome Calls, Discussion Based Assessments (DBAs) and assignments in English. Appropriate accommodations are provided to ELLs based on their ESOL Level. All students at FLVS have access to many accommodations that naturally occur in the virtual setting.
If the student is enrolled in Florida Virtual School K-12 District then all ESOL services including assessment of English proficiency and records maintenance will be conducted by the Florida Virtual School ESOL Department. If the student is enrolled in the Florida Virtual School Flex program and registering as Home Education or Local District Virtual Programs, the family must work with their district of enrollment to request any necessary English proficiency assessments. Florida Virtual School Flex does NOT provide any of these services or evaluations.
If you have any questions about our ESOL program or services please contact the ESOL Department at [email protected].
ESOL Department Contacts
- Dari Deas- Director of Instruction, Florida Virtual School K-12 District
- Rose Velez- ESOL Manager, Florida Virtual School K-12 District
- Natalie Keime- ESOL Coordinator, Florida Virtual Elementary School, Grades Kg-2
- Marcela Ochacher- ESOL Coordinator, Florida Virtual Elementary School, Grades 3-5
- Liliana Guerra-Cannata- ESOL Coordinator, Florida Virtual Middle School and Florida Virtual High School
- Francia Germosen- ESOL Coordinator, Florida Virtual School Flex, Grades K-5
- Odemaris Mendoza- ESOL Coordinator, Florida Virtual School Flex, Grades 6-12
- Megan Diaz- Translation Specialist, Grades K-5
- Barbarita Hinton- Translation Specialist, Grades 6-12