Kindergarten-12th Grade Scholarship Programs
Florida provides a variety of school choice options for Florida students. Scholarships are administered by scholarship-funding organizations such as Step Up for Students and the AAA Scholarship Foundation.
Learn more about the different scholarship types from the Florida Department of Education K-12 Scholarship Programs.
Important Changes for Scholarship Recipients
House Bill (HB) 1 expanded available school choice options for all students in Florida regardless of income. We have updated how scholarship payments can be applied to Florida Virtual School course tuition. Scholarship changes will go into effect on July 1, 2023.
Using Scholarship Funds for Tuition at Florida Virtual School
Florida Tax Credit Scholarship students who complete their courses after June 30, 2023 must apply scholarship funds or pay Florida Virtual School directly for course(s).
Parent Information and Guidelines:
- Scholarships can cover eligible expenses such as tuition and fees at eligible private schools and/or Florida Virtual School.
- Scholarships will be applied to private schools for their tuition and fees first.
- Remaining scholarship funds can be applied to Florida Virtual School course tuition.
- If scholarship funds are depleted and not available to pay for Florida Virtual School course(s), there are other payment options available.
- Scholarship eligibility may be jeopardized if a child is awarded a scholarship and scholarship information is NOT reported to Florida Virtual School.
If your student is enrolled in, or has requested Florida Virtual School course(s):
- If your child’s Florida Virtual School account shows that you have a scholarship, an email with an invoice will be sent to you and your private school (if applicable) from [email protected].
- Please allow three (3) business days to receive the invoice after courses are approved.
IMPORTANT: Please check your child’s Florida Virtual School account to verify that scholarship information from the Florida Department of Education is added to the Florida Virtual School account.
How to verify if Florida Virtual School has received your child’s scholarship information:
- Log into your parent account in Virtual School Administrator (VSA).
- Select the menu icon on the top left side of the 'Student Dashboard'.
- Select ‘Student Records’ and choose 'Academic Profile'.
- Scholarship information will be visible in the 'Academic Profile'.
How to provide scholarship information to Florida Virtual School:
- If you do NOT see your child’s scholarship information in the ‘Academic Profile’, please use the Self Reporting Tool to provide Florida Virtual School your child’s scholarship information.
School Administration Guidelines:
Private schools with students enrolled in Florida Virtual School courses will receive an email with an invoice and instructions on how to authorize payment for all the registered scholarship students.
- This email will also be sent to the parent/guardian.
- Private schools have the option to accept and authorize payment for the invoice for up to five (5) students in a single entry.
- Private schools can choose to authorize all their students' course requests for the year with a blanket authorization by reaching out to the FLVS scholarship team.
- Private school providers may pay using credit card, check, or ACH. Please contact [email protected] for information on setting up ACH with Florida Virtual School.
Private schools are encouraged to communicate their policy for taking Florida Virtual School courses as a scholarship recipient with their students/families.
For additional information regarding scholarships and payment options, please contact [email protected].
Course Tuition and Payment Information
Scholarship recipients enrolled in Florida Virtual School courses are responsible for tuition and direct payment to Florida Virtual School if scholarship funds are depleted.
- Course fees are $267 per half-credit (one segment)
- Charges apply to courses the student is enrolled in and/or registered for at the time the scholarship becomes effective; including any courses completed after the scholarship's effective date.
You will receive an email from [email protected] containing invoice details, information regarding courses and tuition, as well as a link to select one of the payment options:
Pay with Scholarship Funds
- Funds must be available in your scholarship account.
- To check the status of available funds, please log in to the account provided by your scholarship funding organization.
- If scholarship funds are available, follow the instructions provided by your scholarship funding organization to submit an invoice for direct payment to Florida Virtual School.
- Your child will be placed in course(s) once Florida Virtual School can verify payment from the scholarship account.
Pay In Full
Payment can be made to Florida Virtual School directly if you would prefer not to use scholarship funds or if funds are depleted.
- Payment can be made via check or credit card.
- Your child will be placed in their selected course(s) once we confirm receipt of payment.
Set Up a Payment Plan with Florida Virtual School
Plan payments will be automatically charged to your credit card.
- Students will be placed in course(s) once the payment plan is approved.
Refunds are reviewed and processed by request only, and on a case-by-case basis.
If your student withdraws from a course, please notify the Scholarship Team at [email protected] so we can determine if the account is eligible for a refund.
Following activation in a course, the student has a 14-day grace period during which he or she may withdraw and receive a refund. If the student completes 20% or is active in the course beyond the grace period and then withdraws, a refund will not be issued.
The refund will be issued to the entity or individual from whom the payment was received for the enrollment.
If you have any questions on the above payment options or how to use Florida Virtual School as a School Choice Scholarship recipient, please contact our Scholarship Support team: [email protected].
Frequently Asked Questions:
Family Empowerment and Florida Tax Credit/PEP scholarships expand educational choices for families. As scholarship recipients, families can use scholarship funds or pay out of pocket to enroll in Florida Virtual School individual courses (FLVS Flex).
School choice scholarships expand educational choice by allowing public education funds to follow students to the schools or services that best fit their needs. New scholarship rules were recently introduced through House Bill (HB) 1, which require all scholarship recipients taking Florida Virtual School courses to either use the scholarship funds or pay for tuition directly for courses taken.
If students are awarded scholarships, Florida Virtual School will not be funded through the Florida Department of Education for students who successfully complete their course(s). Thus, payment responsibility for Florida Virtual School course(s) lies with parents directly.
An invoice will be sent by email from [email protected] once your student’s course request(s) are approved. Please allow 3 business days (72 hours) to receive the invoice email before reaching out.
Each scholarship has individual requirements for both eligibility and access to Florida Virtual School courses. If you have any questions on how to use your awarded scholarship, click on the link to be directed to your scholarship organization, Step Up for Students, and the AAA Scholarship Foundation.
Students will be placed in their requested courses as soon as possible. Once all documents and/or authorization has been received, the course release is sent to the enrollment team for placement.
To remove the scholarship, your student must no longer be enrolled or receiving funds from a scholarship provider. To request the removal, please email our Scholarship Team at [email protected].